ABOUT THE STUDENTS’ UNION GOVERNMENT
The Students Union Government (SUG) of Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo, is an independent student body and a relevant arm of the central Administration of the College. Although it is not compulsory that all students should participate fully in Students’ Unionism, the College authorities expect all student to be financially involved in Student Unionism for easy administration of students.
The Students’ Union Government ensure students general welfare, encourages academic prowess and solidarity among students and promote relationship of the institution with other similar institutions.
The Student Union Government (SUG), ACEONDO seeks to serve students, staff, alumni and guest as the fulcrum of life on campus; to provide a supportive environment for a comprehensive program of cultural, educational, social, recreational and service activities; to cultivate leadership development in students; to provide appropriate facilities and services through the support of the school management for the diverse needs and activities of campus community; and to create a sense of community that fosters enduring loyalty to the institute.
The vision of the Students’ Union Government (SUG), ACEONDO is to be the hub of student activity and to be among the nation’s premier unions in student development opportunities. The union is student–centered, student-accessible and student-friendly and seeks to attain excellence in all areas of human endeavor.
The Students’ Union Government (SUG), ACEONDO aims at:
- Catering for the welfare of the students and to foster the general interest of its members.
- Promoting the social, cultural, intellectual, moral and sporting activities of its members.
- Protecting the freedom of thought and expression as regards academics and to encourage good relations between the Students’ body and the staff of the College
- To defend the integrity of teaching profession in the country and to propagate the country and the ideals of fundamental human right.
- To contact, cooperate and exchange ideas with other external organizations whose aims are acceptable to the Union.
- To create harmonious relationship between the two existing College programs (NCE and Degree).
- To maintain effective channel of communication between the Student body and the College authority.
- To inculcate the habit of transparency and accountability.
The College authorities recognizes the crucial importance of maintaining open communication and dialogue in the process of identifying and resolving problems, which may arise from the dynamics of life in the College. All members of the College community are therefore free to examine and discuss all questions of interest to them and to express opinions.
Also important, however is the legitimate right of any member of the community to disagree, to hold different opinion or to think differently from others. This is an integral aspect of education and academic freedom. But because academic freedom is rather fragile, and for it to be meaningful, the community must always be protected from attack by extremists of whatever persuasion, which would negate this essential freedom of inquiry, by their coercive and disruptive actions, which interfere with the rights, and freedom of others.
Students are free to support causes by all orderly means as long as they do not disrupt the regular and essential operations and activities of the College since such disruptions would violate the responsible exercise of free enquiry and expression.
The Students’ Union Government operates a democratic system of government with the three arms of government (Executive, Legislative and Judiciary arm) performing their duties independently and ensuring there is room for the rule of law, the constitution of the Students’ Union Government as reviewed and amended in 2019 contains the rules and guiding principles of the SUG.